Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I frankly believe that I've never been this busy in my whole life. ;) But for the first time in my life i feel smart. I'm not sure whether it is justified or not. But I feel more in control when taking a history .
I guess i can try to put down my formula to several specific points.
1) When taking a history, do not try to medicalize the whole thing. Chat with the patient. Sick people don't like to give histories, but they do like to talk about their illness to anyone who would listen. And that is something which can't be read and learnt.. Chatting and harmless gossiping are priceless skills for a med student. ( i'm very good at that)
2) Don't ever take off the smile you wear. It's part of the uniform.
3) Try to be genuinely good natured. Those if you who are inherently unpleasant, may at least try acting.
........ The technical aspects come next.

4) History is not taking down a huge yarn. It is a story. The actual tale is based on a drama in real life. But you are the narrator even though you are not the hero. So the whole plot is in your control. You have the final say in determining the climax. Don't betray that right of yours to the patient. He already enjoys the honour of being the hero.
5) The gog and magog of the whole history are the presenting complaint and the history of presenting complaint. You absolutely got to get them right.
### From my next post onwards i'd like to share my perception and what little experience I have about each component of the history. Especially the two giants.... Gog and magog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment